What are wildlife pests?
Wildlife pests in Long Island encompass many different types of critters such as:
- Birds such as pigeons, starlings, and woodpeckers
You are probably familiar with most of these pests to some degree. Squirrels and birds are regular visitors to any property. Raccoons, bats, opossums, and skunks are nocturnal animals, so they visit properties at night. Groundhogs are a bit different from these pests because they primarily live underground.
Are wildlife pests dangerous?
Although most of these wildlife pests don’t make their way inside the home, they can cause issues in crawl spaces and outbuildings like garages and sheds. These issues include:
- Causing damage to buildings, the lawn, gardens, and landscaping
- Spreading parasites like fleas, ticks, and mites
- Causing contamination with saliva and waste
- Spreading diseases such as rabies, E. coli, salmonella, and many more
Some of these pests like raccoons, skunks, and opossums can attack if they are cornered or threatened.
Why do I have a wildlife pest problem?
Wildlife pests look to residential properties for food, water, and shelter. If you have damaged fencing, pests like raccoons, opossums, and skunks can make their way into your yard, where they raid garbage cans and gardens and take advantage of other food sources.
Where will I find wildlife pests?
Because wildlife pests are so different, you can find them in various places when they infest.
- Bats, squirrels, and birds can infest a home through the roofline, taking advantage of lightly-trafficked attics.
- Groundhogs are more of a problem outside, living underground, creating mounds of soil as they tunnel.
- Raccoons, opossums, and skunks can make their way into crawl spaces, garages, sheds, and other areas that provide protection away from people.
How do I get rid of wildlife pests?
Getting rid of wildlife pests is challenging for several reasons:
- Different pests require different treatment methods.
- Store-bought baits and traps are ineffective without exclusion.
- Handling wild animals can be dangerous.
If you are experiencing issues with any of the wildlife pests listed above, contact us at PDF Finest Pest Management. We offer wildlife control and specialty bird removal and control. Both of these services start with an inspection to identify the problem. Using inspection findings, your technician will implement treatments that meet your needs.
Call us at PDF Finest Pest Management to learn more about how we can help with wildlife pests.
How can I prevent wildlife pests in the future?
Prevent wildlife from causing future problems by maintaining your yard, installing fencing around your property, eliminating entry points into your home, and reducing water and food sources.
Ask our PDF Finest Pest Management experts about wildlife prevention and schedule your inspection!