What are cockroaches?
There are four cockroach species common in our area:
- Oriental cockroaches are about an inch long with a shiny black body.
- American cockroaches grow between 1 1/4 and 2 1/8 inches long and have reddish-brown bodies with a yellowish figure eight pattern behind the head. This species is the largest home-invading cockroach in North America.
- German cockroaches are usually between 1/2 and 5/8 of an inch long with light brown to tan coloring. They have two darker stripes on their backs. This species is the most common home-invading cockroach.
- Brown-banded cockroaches are about 1/2 an inch long with brown coloring and bands that cross their wings.
Are cockroaches dangerous?
Cockroaches are dangerous pests because of the many diseases they spread and the contamination they cause. Diseases spread by cockroaches include:
- E. coli
These pests can also irritate allergies and asthma with the skins they shed and the waste they leave behind.
Why do I have a cockroach problem?
Cockroaches take full advantage of the resources people provide. These pests are resourceful. They will find a way inside through cracks, open windows and doors, and drains.
Once inside, these nocturnal insects will scavenge for food at night, chewing through food packaging and eating crumbs, garbage, pet waste, and more.
Where will I find cockroaches?
Cockroaches like a lot of moisture, so they are usually found in bathrooms, basements, and other areas where there is plumbing. They are also scavengers, so they gravitate towards kitchens, hiding under sinks, appliances, and cabinets.
How do I get rid of cockroaches?
Cockroaches are stubborn pests to deal with. They become increasingly more resistant to traditional pesticides, which means store-bought products won’t work against them. Cockroaches are also quick reproducers, so they will continue to reinfest if they are not taken care of properly.
The best way to handle a cockroach infestation is with professional cockroach control services. At PDF Finest Pest Management, we utilize several different control methods such as granules, glue boards, gel baits, and sprays. After a close inspection, your technician will determine what home cockroach control methods will best suit the pest pressures you are facing.
How can I prevent cockroaches in the future?
The best way to prevent future cockroach infestations is with ongoing professional assistance and reducing conducive conditions using these tips:
- Keep up with regular yard maintenance, including mowing the lawn, removing leaf litter, and trimming bushes and trees.
- Eliminate entry points like cracks in the foundations, damaged screens, and uncovered vents and drains.
- Remove food sources by cleaning up crumbs right away, storing open food in airtight containers, and using garbage cans with tight-fitting lids.
- Keep your home decluttered so it is easier to clean.
Our pros at PDF Finest Pest Management are ready to assist you with cockroach prevention and control in Long Island, so call today!