The Trick To Getting Rid Of Roaches In Your New York City Home
September 15, 2022
Once you spot a cockroach or signs of cockroaches in your New York City home, you won't be able to focus on much beyond how to get them out. But how can you get rid of cockroaches and keep them from coming back? The safest way to approach cockroach infestations is with professional pest control in New York City. The professionals at PDF Finest Pest Management are more than happy to help you identify, prevent, and control cockroaches in New York City.
Types Of Roaches That Can Be Found In New York City
Different roaches have different behaviors and appearances. The four common cockroaches in New York City include:
- American Cockroaches: These are the largest roaches in North America, growing up to three inches in length. They have reddish-brown coloring and yellow figure eight patterns behind their head.
- Brown-banded Cockroaches: These roaches are smaller, growing only half an inch in length. True to their name, they are brown roaches with dark bands across their wings.
- German Cockroaches: The most common home-invading roach and similar in size to brown-banded cockroaches, German cockroaches are light brown with darker stripes on their back.
- Oriental Cockroaches: Medium-sized roaches growing to an inch in length, oriental cockroaches have shiny black bodies.
Regardless of the species, cockroaches are dangerous pests that need to be dealt with right away.
Why It's Dangerous To Have Roaches In Your Home
Cockroaches may not be as large as some other pests that invade New York City homes, but that doesn't make them any less of a risk. Cockroaches are dangerous because of the contamination and diseases cockroaches spread. Having cockroaches in your home leaves you vulnerable to a number of illnesses, including:
- E. Coli
And the risks do not stop there. The shed skin and waste cockroaches leave behind in your home can trigger allergies and asthma symptoms. The more the infestation spreads, the worse these symptoms become.
The Best Way To Completely Get Rid Of Roaches In Your Home
Cockroaches are a hardy pest that often evades do-it-yourself attempts at elimination. To truly eliminate infestations and prevent them from returning, the best approach is to use a quality pest control service such as PDF Finest Pest Management. We provide several control methods to meet the needs of your home.
Five Tips To Prevent Future Roach Problems In Your Home
Of course, the best way to deal with a cockroach infestation is to avoid having one in the first place. You can prevent cockroaches in your home with the following tips:
- Minimize food sources: Cockroaches are after a free meal. Limit their access to food by storing leftovers in air-tight containers and cleaning up after meals.
- Cover trash cans: Uncovered trash cans often provide a steady source of food to cockroaches. Limit this resource by covering both indoor and outdoor trash cans and emptying them often.
- Eliminate entry points: Cockroaches often enter homes through cracks in the foundation, damaged screens, or uncovered vents and drains. Eliminate these entry points by sealing cracks and crevices and using high-quality screens on windows and other access points into your home.
- Declutter your home: Cockroaches thrive in cluttered areas where they can hide and find excess food. Decluttering your home will minimize hiding spots as well as making it easier to keep clean.
- Maintain the yard: Regular mowing and removal of outdoor debris can help limit outdoor hiding spaces for cockroaches and minimize the chances outdoor populations will migrate inside.
If you're interested in having support preventing cockroaches, or you have a population that needs to be addressed, don't hesitate to call the experts at PDF Finest Pest Management!