Long Island's Complete Guide To Effective Bird Control
April 15, 2022
For many residents, insects and four-legged animals are the reason to seek professional pest control in Long Island. They can harm your home or business and your personal effects. As it pertains to medical risks, critters can bring germs and diseases, not to mention, they might sting, bite, or scratch you. Local wildlife removal and bug management are essential but don't forget animal control for birds in Long Island.
Believe it or not, fowls are just as wearisome as creepy crawlers. Further, they are even harder to manage because they’re often in the air. Find out what sufficient bird control entails with this guide from PDF Finest Pest Management. We can help you protect yourself and your land from the woes of these creatures.
Long Island Is Home To Many Pest Birds
Pigeons and sparrows are two persistent species of pest birds in the area. Generally, pigeons are about 11 inches long and 13 ounces in weight. While their coloring can vary, the vast majority are gray with white shading in the back. Black stripes are on their wings and tails, but the latter markings are thick. They also have two red feet. “Rock doves” is their secondary name.
Structural voids, steeples, posts, and other sheltered zones are where pigeons assemble. When they get hungry, they’ll surround trash cans and left-out food. Grains are especially attractive to them, and you’ll likely see flocks near grain elevators, feed mills, bridges, agricultural centers, and parks. Pigeons have multiple mating sessions. It will take at least two weeks for their one or two eggs to hatch. The regurgitated material the birds feed to their young is called “pigeon milk.”
Sparrows are six inches long, if not more. These animals are tan or brown. Males will have gray heads and tails with black throats. Females have the same features, but their tones aren’t as vivid. Sparrows will fly by buildings and foundation gaps. This species is aggressive. Bird control is a requisite for any property because these pests depend on human environments.
How Pest Birds Create Problems For Property Owners
Pest birds can wreak a lot of havoc:
- Their liquid feces is slippery, which may lead to falls.
- Their waste contains acid that ruins paint and ages buildings.
- Their excrement supports fungal growth.
- Some of the diseases they spread are cryptococcosis, toxoplasmosis, salmonella, and histoplasmosis.
- They may carry ticks, lice, fleas, and mites.
- They damage dumpsters, farms, fruit trees, and gardens.
- Should they enter vents and dryers, fires could start.
Local wildlife removal is the best way to avoid these issues with pest birds.
Factors That Attract Roosting Pest Birds To Your Property
Once more, covered spaces and meal materials are the two main things conducive to pest bird activity. Taking preventative action is crucial.
The Best Bird Control Methods For Long Island Properties
Perform these tasks to discourage flocks of pest birds:
- Patch up holes in rooflines, foundations, dryers, vents, and windows.
- Eliminate standing water by drying pet drinking bowls and draining swimming pools.
- Remove possible food sources from the yard.
- Put garbage in secure canisters.
- Refrain from feeding birds, so they won’t want to come back.
- Attach covers to vents and louvers that face the outdoors.
“Do it yourself” methods and retail pesticides can be expensive and hazardous to use. Typically, they aren’t effective against infestations either. We at PDF Finest Pest Management have affordable industrial-grade resources that are safe. Our avenues include repairs and installation of preventative products.
Save time, money, and stress by relying on our expertise. Call PDF Finest Pest Management today about our animal control for birds in Long Island!